Heritage Places

Heritage Place Details

LOCATION
Map Show Map
Address Manoora Road MINTARO
Locality MINTARO
Accuracy H - high level confidence
Development Plan Clare and Gilbert Valleys Council
Polygon Type B - Building footprint
DESCRIPTION
Details (Known As) "Martindale Hall", Martindale Hall Conservation Park [includes Mortlock Weapons Collection, Billiards & Sporting, Pictorial & Heraldic Collections - Objects of heritage significance]
Registered Name "Martindale Hall"
Significance Martindale Hall, a property including a mansion and its interiors, coach house, stables, and associated structures, is closely associated with the pastoral and economic development of South Australia in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The main house was constructed for Edmund Bowman Jr., in 1879-1880 to a design prepared by London architect E Gregg, while the coach house was probably designed by Adelaide architect EJ Woods. The construction of the mansion and other structures was supervised by Woods and main builder Robert Huckson. Martindale Hall is an outstanding example of the grand country mansions constructed by wealthy pastoralists and represents the `baronial' lifestyle achieved by them. The property including the mansion, its interiors, and coach house retain a high degree of integrity and illustrate a way of life that no longer exists in South Australia. The classical styling, proportions and detailing of the external elevations of the mansion and coach house are of a very high quality, and the elaborate detailing of interior features such as timberwork, parquetry floor and plaster work to cornices, ceilings and gallery are finely executed. Martindale Hall remains as a testament to the successful establishment and ongoing management of the intergenerational pastoral empires created by the Bowman and Mortlock families.
Subject Index Residential - Large House; Transport (Road) - Stables [Transport (Road)]; Utilities - Pump House; Residential - Coach House [Residential]
Class State
STATUS
Status Code REG - Confirmed as a State Heritage Place in the SA Heritage Register
Status Date 24-JUL-1980
REFERENCE
LGA Clare and Gilbert Valleys
State Heritage ID 10067
Heritage Number 14449
SECTION 16 INFORMATION
Section 16
PLAN PARCEL & TITLE
As listed in the SA Heritage Register
Plan Parcel & Title Information CR 5372/406 D19214 A1

Disclaimer

While due care has been taken to ensure that the SA Heritage Places Database accurately reflects the South Australian Heritage Register and listings of Local Heritage Places in Development Plans, the State of South Australia does not accept liability for the use of the SA Heritage Database for any purpose. Users should consult the Department for Environment and Water - Heritage South Australia to confirm the listing of State Heritage Places and the relevant Development Plan for Local Heritage Places/Contributory Items.

In the majority of cases, the maps of State Heritage Places on this web site show the footprints of the most significant structures on a registered Place. However, sometimes they simply indicate the complete area of land comprising the Place. Work is proceeding to further refine the mapping of such places. It is also important to note that development control is not limited to the registered structures but extends to their setting and structures nearby (what is termed ‘development affecting’ a State Heritage Place). Hence it is vital that exact details of the listed place and implications for any proposed development be discussed with Heritage South Australia staff, as they cannot be deduced solely from the information on this web site. The inclusion of a place in the SA Heritage Register gives no right of public access. Permission to visit properties must be sought from the owners. The accuracy of the mapping of State Heritage Places is not guaranteed. Please contact Heritage SA ( https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/topics/heritage/sa-heritage-register) if you believe there is an error.


GIS files

To access downloadable GIS files, go to Data.SA.