Heritage Places

Heritage Place Details

LOCATION
Map Show Map
Address Degaris Place also known as Debors Place NARACOORTE
Locality NARACOORTE
Accuracy H - high level confidence
Development Plan Naracoorte Lucindale Council
Polygon Type B - Building footprint
DESCRIPTION
Details (Known As) Naracoorte Council Office (former Commercial Bank of SA Naracoorte Branch) and front fence
Registered Name District Council Office and Front Fence
Significance The Commercial Bank of South Australia was established in 1878 during a period of economic optimism in the colony, and the Naracoorte Branch, when opened a year later, was one of its first country branches. In 1884 the Branch moved into these new purpose-built premises, comprising a finely detailed single storey banking chamber and attached manager's residence, designed for the Bank by F W Dancker. However, less than two years later a sensational scandal arising from the embezzlement of nearly three thousand pounds precipitated the collapse of the Commercial Bank, and the building was sold. The Commercial Bank of Australia, based in Melbourne, occupied the building briefly before it too was forced to close during to the Australia-wide depression of the 1890s. The building then became a residence (known as 'Windera') and was associated with two prominent local families over many years, before being purchased by the District Council of Naracoorte in 1968. The building and its intricate wrought iron fence is architecturally significant as a fine example of late Victorian Classical revival architecture of a quality of construction and degree of external decoration not often found in country South Australia. [Adapted from: Breaden & Gullen, Architects, Conservation Plan Naracoorte Council Offices, Naracoorte, March 1991]
Subject Index Finance - Bank; Government - Council Chambers
Class State
STATUS
Status Code REG - Confirmed as a State Heritage Place in the SA Heritage Register
Status Date 28-MAY-1981
REFERENCE
LGA Naracoorte Lucindale
State Heritage ID 10251
Heritage Number 16281
SECTION 16 INFORMATION
Section 16
PLAN PARCEL & TITLE
As listed in the SA Heritage Register
Plan Parcel & Title Information CT 5820/376 F205969 A623

Disclaimer

While due care has been taken to ensure that the SA Heritage Places Database accurately reflects the South Australian Heritage Register and listings of Local Heritage Places in Development Plans, the State of South Australia does not accept liability for the use of the SA Heritage Database for any purpose. Users should consult the Department for Environment and Water - Heritage South Australia to confirm the listing of State Heritage Places and the relevant Development Plan for Local Heritage Places/Contributory Items.

In the majority of cases, the maps of State Heritage Places on this web site show the footprints of the most significant structures on a registered Place. However, sometimes they simply indicate the complete area of land comprising the Place. Work is proceeding to further refine the mapping of such places. It is also important to note that development control is not limited to the registered structures but extends to their setting and structures nearby (what is termed ‘development affecting’ a State Heritage Place). Hence it is vital that exact details of the listed place and implications for any proposed development be discussed with Heritage South Australia staff, as they cannot be deduced solely from the information on this web site. The inclusion of a place in the SA Heritage Register gives no right of public access. Permission to visit properties must be sought from the owners. The accuracy of the mapping of State Heritage Places is not guaranteed. Please contact Heritage SA ( https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/topics/heritage/sa-heritage-register) if you believe there is an error.


GIS files

To access downloadable GIS files, go to Data.SA.