Heritage Places

Heritage Place Details

LOCATION
Map Show Map
Address Portland Street PENOLA
Locality PENOLA
Accuracy H - high level confidence
Development Plan Wattle Range Council
Polygon Type B - Building footprint
DESCRIPTION
Details (Known As) Woods MacKillop Schoolhouse
Registered Name Woods MacKillop School House
Significance The Woods/MacKillop Schoolhouse is so named because it was the first school built to further the work of the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart, a religious teaching congregation founded in Penola in 1866 by Father Julian Tenison Woods and Mary MacKillop. The work of this congregation and the opening of this building was the beginning of a system of Catholic parochial education which has since been a feature of Australian education. The work initiated in Penola by Woods and Mackillop spread first from Penola to Adelaide in 1867 and thence to country towns in South Australia. In 1869 it spread to Queensland and in 1872 to Bathurst in NSW. The work of the Sisters has since spread to every Australian State except Tasmania and the Sisters are also working in New Zealand and Peru. The schoolhouse is a lasting monument to an educational system which, in 1866, was unique in Australia. The building also bears witness to the outstanding contributions of Woods, the devoted Catholic pastor of the South-East area and Mackillop, the educated and talented teacher. Although the building was used only for school purposes until 1885, it has since been used as a meeting room, venue for social gatherings and a Sunday School. It is now a museum commemorating the lives of Mother Mary MacKillop and Fr. Julian Tenison Woods.
Subject Index Education - Primary School; Education - Secondary School
Class State
STATUS
Status Code REG - Confirmed as a State Heritage Place in the SA Heritage Register
Status Date 04-MAR-1993
REFERENCE
LGA Wattle Range
State Heritage ID 12701
Heritage Number 16517
SECTION 16 INFORMATION
Section 16
PLAN PARCEL & TITLE
As listed in the SA Heritage Register
Plan Parcel & Title Information CT 5620/475 D48900 A121

Disclaimer

While due care has been taken to ensure that the SA Heritage Places Database accurately reflects the South Australian Heritage Register and listings of Local Heritage Places in Development Plans, the State of South Australia does not accept liability for the use of the SA Heritage Database for any purpose. Users should consult the Department for Environment and Water - Heritage South Australia to confirm the listing of State Heritage Places and the relevant Development Plan for Local Heritage Places/Contributory Items.

In the majority of cases, the maps of State Heritage Places on this web site show the footprints of the most significant structures on a registered Place. However, sometimes they simply indicate the complete area of land comprising the Place. Work is proceeding to further refine the mapping of such places. It is also important to note that development control is not limited to the registered structures but extends to their setting and structures nearby (what is termed ‘development affecting’ a State Heritage Place). Hence it is vital that exact details of the listed place and implications for any proposed development be discussed with Heritage South Australia staff, as they cannot be deduced solely from the information on this web site. The inclusion of a place in the SA Heritage Register gives no right of public access. Permission to visit properties must be sought from the owners. The accuracy of the mapping of State Heritage Places is not guaranteed. Please contact Heritage SA ( https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/topics/heritage/sa-heritage-register) if you believe there is an error.


GIS files

To access downloadable GIS files, go to Data.SA.