Heritage Places

Heritage Place Details

LOCATION
Map Show Map
Address 1A Ware Street BURRA
Locality BURRA
Accuracy H - high level confidence
Development Plan Goyder Council
Polygon Type B - Building footprint
DESCRIPTION
Details (Known As) Coach House - Part of former home of John and Essington Lewis
Registered Name Dwelling and Coach House
Significance This dwelling is significant for being the home of the Hon. John Lewis MLC (1844-1923), who settled at Burra in 1876. A pastoralist, explorer and politician, he was also Managing Director of Bagot, Shakes & Lewis Ltd, one of the Colony's biggest pastoral firms. The dwelling is also of interest for being the childhood home of Essington Lewis (1881-1961,) one of six children, who lived in Burra until sent to St Peter's College in 1894, following the death of his mother in the same year. During World War One he was appointed Construction Plant Manager for a munitions plant erected in Newcastle for BHP. His subsequent career as managing director of BHP (appointed in 1926) proved of paramount importance in the Australian steel industry's recovery from the post World War One slump and depression years. He was appointed Director-General of Munitions by Menzies in 1940, and in the following year Director-General of Aircraft Production. In 1943, he was made a member of The Order of the Companion of Honour, the first Australian member other than a Prime Minister to hold this distinction. His role in Australia's most influential mining company and importance in Australia's defence arrangement throughout two World Wars make Essington Lewis one of Australia's most important figures during this period. (Condensed from State Heritage Branch assessment report 1983).
Subject Index Residential - Coach House [Residential]
Class State
STATUS
Status Code REG - Confirmed as a State Heritage Place in the SA Heritage Register
Status Date 08-NOV-1984
REFERENCE
LGA Goyder Regional Council
State Heritage ID 23748
Heritage Number 17660
SECTION 16 INFORMATION
Section 16
PLAN PARCEL & TITLE
As listed in the SA Heritage Register
Plan Parcel & Title Information CT 5953/955 D68405 A1

Disclaimer

While due care has been taken to ensure that the SA Heritage Places Database accurately reflects the South Australian Heritage Register and listings of Local Heritage Places in Development Plans, the State of South Australia does not accept liability for the use of the SA Heritage Database for any purpose. Users should consult the Department for Environment and Water - Heritage South Australia to confirm the listing of State Heritage Places and the relevant Development Plan for Local Heritage Places/Contributory Items.

In the majority of cases, the maps of State Heritage Places on this web site show the footprints of the most significant structures on a registered Place. However, sometimes they simply indicate the complete area of land comprising the Place. Work is proceeding to further refine the mapping of such places. It is also important to note that development control is not limited to the registered structures but extends to their setting and structures nearby (what is termed ‘development affecting’ a State Heritage Place). Hence it is vital that exact details of the listed place and implications for any proposed development be discussed with Heritage South Australia staff, as they cannot be deduced solely from the information on this web site. The inclusion of a place in the SA Heritage Register gives no right of public access. Permission to visit properties must be sought from the owners. The accuracy of the mapping of State Heritage Places is not guaranteed. Please contact Heritage SA ( https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/topics/heritage/sa-heritage-register) if you believe there is an error.


GIS files

To access downloadable GIS files, go to Data.SA.