Heritage Places

Heritage Place Details

LOCATION
Map Show Map
Address 32-56 Sir Donald Bradman Drive MILE END
Locality MILE END
Accuracy H - high level confidence
Development Plan West Torrens Council
Polygon Type B - Building footprint
DESCRIPTION
Details (Known As) Former Adelaide Electric Supply Co Ltd - Four former garages and two double storey office/workshop buildings
Registered Name Former Adelaide Electric Supply Co Ltd - Four former garages and two double storey office/workshop buildings
Significance The Former Adelaide Electric Supply Co Ltd (AESCo) Buildings demonstrate an important aspect of the evolution or pattern of the State's history, providing evidence of the expansion of secondary industry and suburban housing in South Australia in the 1920s and 1930s and the need for industrial buildings to accommodate this. In their design, scale and progressive sequence of construction (marked by dates) the former AESCo buildings illustrate the impact and response to major developments in metropolitan Adelaide during the interwar period: suburban expansion and industrialisation. The consequent rising demand for electricity is reflected in this sequence of buildings, which also illustrate characteristic industrial design features of that period. In 1946 Premier John Playford effectively nationalised the Adelaide Electricity Supply Company by forming the Electricity Trust of South Australia (ETSA) as South Australia's public electricity supply company, and took over the assets and the operations of AESCo. Comprising a row of six industrial buildings of similar design featuring decorative brick gables and large windows, all inscribed 'Adelaide Electricity Supply Company', the complex was constructed between 1923 and 1937.
Subject Index
Class State
STATUS
Status Code REG - Confirmed as a State Heritage Place in the SA Heritage Register
Status Date 25-OCT-2013
REFERENCE
LGA West Torrens
State Heritage ID 26308
Heritage Number 26977
SECTION 16 INFORMATION
Section 16 a - it demonstrates important aspects of the evolution or pattern of the State's history
PLAN PARCEL & TITLE
As listed in the SA Heritage Register
Plan Parcel & Title Information CT 5289/572 D41533 A171

Disclaimer

While due care has been taken to ensure that the SA Heritage Places Database accurately reflects the South Australian Heritage Register and listings of Local Heritage Places in Development Plans, the State of South Australia does not accept liability for the use of the SA Heritage Database for any purpose. Users should consult the Department for Environment and Water - Heritage South Australia to confirm the listing of State Heritage Places and the relevant Development Plan for Local Heritage Places/Contributory Items.

In the majority of cases, the maps of State Heritage Places on this web site show the footprints of the most significant structures on a registered Place. However, sometimes they simply indicate the complete area of land comprising the Place. Work is proceeding to further refine the mapping of such places. It is also important to note that development control is not limited to the registered structures but extends to their setting and structures nearby (what is termed ‘development affecting’ a State Heritage Place). Hence it is vital that exact details of the listed place and implications for any proposed development be discussed with Heritage South Australia staff, as they cannot be deduced solely from the information on this web site. The inclusion of a place in the SA Heritage Register gives no right of public access. Permission to visit properties must be sought from the owners. The accuracy of the mapping of State Heritage Places is not guaranteed. Please contact Heritage SA ( https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/topics/heritage/sa-heritage-register) if you believe there is an error.


GIS files

To access downloadable GIS files, go to Data.SA.