Heritage Places

Heritage Place Details

LOCATION
Map Show Map
Address 52 Mount Barker Road STIRLING
Locality STIRLING
Accuracy H - high level confidence
Development Plan Adelaide Hills Council
Polygon Type P - parcel (from DCDB)
DESCRIPTION
Details (Known As) Stirling Hotel
Registered Name Hotel - Stirling
Significance In its present state the Stirling Hotel would seem to be chiefly the work of the noted architects English & Soward during the period 1880-1899. It is possible some remnants of the 1850s building survive within the fabric. The hotel's architectural integrity is high, as high if not higher than that of the nearby Crafers, Aldgate, and Bridgewater Hotels. Historically the Stirling Hotel is a fine example of the confident hotel expansion of the late nineteenth century. The owners for most of its history have been the notable brewing and hotel-owning firm of J & AG Johnston. The hotel is associated with major transport routes - the Mount Barker Road and the Hills Railway - of great historical importance. It is also associated with popular holiday activities of the period 1880-1940. The present fabric of the building is historically associated with the nearby Stirling Oval, and possibly with the foundation of the Stirling District Council in 1883. The Hotel is also a prominent and increasingly rare survivor of the old township of Stirling West, much of which has been demolished since the 1960s. (Robert Martin 1990 - SHB file) The original hotel on the site, the Half Way House Hotel, was built in 1859 to cater to coaching traffic on the Mt. Barker Road. It was later extended and substantially rebuilt to cater to the influx of holiday makers as a result of the opening of the railway line from Adelaide to Nairne in 1883. It was renamed Stirling Hotel in 1906. (SHB 2/90)
Subject Index Hotels, motels & accommodation - Hotel
Class State
STATUS
Status Code REG - Confirmed as a State Heritage Place in the SA Heritage Register
Status Date 27-SEP-1990
REFERENCE
LGA Adelaide Hills
State Heritage ID 14293
Heritage Number 15172
SECTION 16 INFORMATION
Section 16
PLAN PARCEL & TITLE
As listed in the SA Heritage Register
Plan Parcel & Title Information CT 6064/453 D1069 A32

Disclaimer

While due care has been taken to ensure that the SA Heritage Places Database accurately reflects the South Australian Heritage Register and listings of Local Heritage Places in Development Plans, the State of South Australia does not accept liability for the use of the SA Heritage Database for any purpose. Users should consult the Department for Environment and Water - Heritage South Australia to confirm the listing of State Heritage Places and the relevant Development Plan for Local Heritage Places/Contributory Items.

In the majority of cases, the maps of State Heritage Places on this web site show the footprints of the most significant structures on a registered Place. However, sometimes they simply indicate the complete area of land comprising the Place. Work is proceeding to further refine the mapping of such places. It is also important to note that development control is not limited to the registered structures but extends to their setting and structures nearby (what is termed ‘development affecting’ a State Heritage Place). Hence it is vital that exact details of the listed place and implications for any proposed development be discussed with Heritage South Australia staff, as they cannot be deduced solely from the information on this web site. The inclusion of a place in the SA Heritage Register gives no right of public access. Permission to visit properties must be sought from the owners. The accuracy of the mapping of State Heritage Places is not guaranteed. Please contact Heritage SA ( https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/topics/heritage/sa-heritage-register) if you believe there is an error.


GIS files

To access downloadable GIS files, go to Data.SA.